Dormant and Disappointed

I dream of paradise most of the time.  Unfortunately, I was having a hard time looking for it nowadays.  I have not been travelling to places I wanted to see so I wasn’t sure what to write.  I have been roaming around my city with my bike every weekend, since I cannot contain my feet from itching to travel.

It has been frustrating not to see Mt. Pinatubo, Hundred islands, and even my mother’s hometown attraction, Taal Volcano  ( even now that it is showing signs of volcanic activity and might lead to an eruption).  I even had planned on biking to Subic but there is something wrong with my bike so the plan fell apart.  I am going to do some minor upgrades and see if I can revive my botched plan.

The only solace so far was going back to Pundakit and Anawangin Cove this year.  The family went there last Holy Week to relax.  I have been to Pundakit a lot of times, the first in 2004 when I was “saving turtles”.  This is actually the first time the four of us went there – me, wifey, and the two kids with only the four of us to enjoy and experience travelling together.


Pundakit is not the same sleepy town anymore, especially during Holy Week.  Even Anawangin looks like a second version of galera with boats filled with people coming and going every couple of minutes.  I missed the days where it only costs 40 pesos on special trip to Pundakit and there are few revelers on the beach that you can actually find a secluded spot and swim even on your underwear.

The cove was filled, and perhaps overfilled was a more accurate term.  The seclusion was a great attraction for people who want to get away from their busy city life but now the discovery of a beautiful getaway spot near Manila has made everything possible, even bringing young kids.  It used to be a challenge sleeping overnight without any electronic aid at Anawangin, but now it’s like it was  just on the other side of the river, where everything is almost available, even trash.  We’ve enjoyed our Holy Week trip but I was a little disappointed at some people I saw.  It could be the next Puerto Galera in a few years, I do hope not.

Wet and happy

I love sunsets @ Pundakit Bay


It probably fell from the sky like Coca Cola


8 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous May 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    I'm so sorry you feel that way. But you know, it is nice traveling with your wife and kids in tow. That's one hell of an experience they'll surely remember. :)
  2. DuNi May 5, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    i was so proud of the place... and then they saw that softdrinks can and it was like... arrgghh!~
  3. Anonymous May 5, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    Do the right hing Donnie, pick it up and throw it properly :)
  4. DuNi May 5, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    i did... but that was nothing compared to what's floating at the sea itself...
  5. evey ♥ May 6, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    Funny how all these places are still in my dreams..or a mere just plans.. My husband is from Zambales not quite far from the'paradise' u just mentioned but still haven't been there.. I remember what you told me bt goin there when we met at Pampanga :) and wow i didn't know that it was this crowded already.. i thought tago pa rin siya but i guess the way u describe it mukhang hindi na...But don't worry kuya u still have 7,000 more islands to see :)

    Nice and lovely to hear u spent quality time with ur family, thats priceless! And ur son anlaki na niya! :)

    I miss talking to u! hope we can hang out again sometime....
  6. DuNi May 7, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    evey Holy Week kasi... most beaches are crowded... pero San Antonio marami na rin nagpupunta pag weekends dahil na rin sa SCTEX hindi na matagal ang byahe... pero sabi ng mga tagaroon weekdays wala masyado tao... now, I am tempted to bike on a weekday masubukan lang... lols...
  7. Pinay Travel Junkie May 9, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    "It probably fell from the sky like Coca Cola" - Hahaha! A la 'The Gods Must Be Crazy!'
  8. DuNi May 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    "Hahaha! A la 'The Gods Must Be Crazy!'"

    that was what I have in mind exactly... I wanted to give the people there the benefit of the doubt...

Something to say?