Clarkfield: Near yet so far, easy yet so hard...

Category: By DuNi

Clarkfield in Pampanga is only a seven peso ride in the jeepney.  It is so near where we currently reside that we could constantly see airplanes which my daughter delights in admiring them in the open skies.  So when I planned to have my leisure ride, I thought it would be just another walk in the park, or in this case, a ride in the field.  I was dead wrong.


I started early this time.  It was already bright outside but majestic Arayat and her lone deity, Mariang Sinukuan, are the ones probably blocking the sun from directly harming my partially sunburned skin from last week.  Another great day outdoors, I whispered.


After entering Clark’s Mabalacat gate, the road imaginably stretched directly into the Zambales mountain ranges which includes Mt. Pinatubo, although it’s hard to guess which is the volcano from all those peaks towering from afar.  I thought it was chicken feed (major major slang for sisiw lang), but just barely a kilometer’s pedal, my legs were already feeling tired.  Clarkfield, as I now discovered, was a slow ascending road with the highest elevation of approximately 500 meters.  After being overtaken by kids as young as 10 (I think) in their Haros, Cannondales, and other high end bikes, I decided to slow it down, for I am saving up a lot of energy for next week’s ride for a cause.

I just decided to explore Clark and try to see any hidden paths, trails, and even unchartered roads.  Even though most are paved, Clarkfield is a perfect training ground for newbie bikers, with lots of twists and turns depending on the level of difficulty you want to tackle.  Although mostly are paved roads, the ones that are heavy in vehicle traffic are those near the duty free shops and the airport.  Most of the other roads are perfect for bike training and even just simple strolling with less vehicle interference most of the time.




I was also looking for Air Force City’s famous bulalo.  Although I found it, there were a lot of changes over the last few years, flavour excluded.  Then I took a rest at the Nayong Pilipino Complex in Clark Expo (now Clark Education City, for those who have plans “Down Under”).  I was only planning to rest at Nayong Pilipino.  I chose the place for the high security, and in case of emergency, the rest rooms.  While inside, the public speaker announces that the Sunday Mass will start in a short while.  I stayed longer to hear mass, and was surprised that I bumped into Father Ed - a long time friend - he was the mass celebrant at the Barasoain Church Replica.  After a while back in biking, my mobile phone broke.  Some keypads are malfunctioning so I decided to cut short my ride and hit the road home after bringing my phone to a friend’s shop to let him fix it.  My only disappointed with my whole ride was when I saw the old Expo Filipino turned into an educational city under foreign management.  This could have been UP or another state university if only our government would not be too busy getting themselves rich with their corrupt practices.  But in all, it was a great ride and I am seriously considering Clark as my weekend training ground before I decide myself to be trail-worthy.



2 comments so far.

  1. evey ♥ September 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    so nice and good to see you , your very nice bike and my beloved Clark!! :) Hope we could join u on ur journey..

    enjoy and take care!
  2. DuNi September 14, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    evey marami na bago sa Clark... konti na lang duty free... pero andun pa rin ang bulalo sa air force city canteen! lols...

Something to say?